Huge! The Hobbit Will Be Made!

Talk about movies, it doesn't matter whether they're old or just came out!

Moderator: Moderators

Huge! The Hobbit Will Be Made!

Postby Brian » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:44 am

MGM to Unveil New Tentpoles!
Source: Variety September 10, 2006

In a Variety article talking about MGM's move back into the tentpole business, the trade mentions a few highly-anticipated projects that are in the works:

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.
Brian
Site Admin

Postby R0Blade » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:46 am

The Hobbit by Peter Jackson...I like where this is going.
R0Blade

Postby maddykbs » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Bout Time.
I prefer the Hobbit over LOTR
maddykbs

Postby Hannan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:56 am

I LOVE THE LORD OF THE RINGS !!!! :D
I hope the Hobbit will be good!! actually Perfect!!
Hannan

Postby Sarya » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:51 am

oh thats awesome! :)
Sarya

Postby Brian » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:00 pm

Unfinished Tolkien Tale to be Published
Source: The Associated Press September 18, 2006

The Associated Press reports that "The Children of Hurin," an unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien, has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring.

Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on the book, an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.

"It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the 'Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said.

The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.
Brian
Site Admin

Postby R0Blade » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 am

That kid better not mess up his father's excellent work !
R0Blade

Postby Hannan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:32 am

R0Blade wrote:That kid better not mess up his father's excellent work !

Yeah I agree !!
Hannan

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:39 pm

I read in Entertainment Weekly (you can go to their EW.com website for the article) that Peter Jackson still hasn't been contacted by either MGM or New Line (the company that was responsible for the LOTR films) in the three years since Return of the King. Even though MGM released the statement in my earlier post to the public, they still haven't personally contacted Jackson about The Hobbit. The article goes on to explain why The Hobbit hasn't been made and why there has been so little talk of it, despite the success of the LOTR trilogy. The problem is that MGM owns the right to distribute the movie, while New Line owns the right to actually make the movie. The two studios have not been able to come to terms, and even today, though MGM appears to want to enter into a partnership to make The Hobbit, New Line appears to want to buy them out and go at it alone. All of this studio bickering has prevented any plans for The Hobbit from being made. I had thought all along that Jackson didn't want to make another Tolkien movie, but it turns out that he not only wants to make The Hobbit, but that he has some plans for it, including adding new material, and turning the project into two films rather than one. Hopefully MGM and New Line will get their shit together and The Hobbit will be made, by Jackson.
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:41 pm

MGM's Sands on T4 and The Hobbit
Source: The Hollywood Reporter October 25, 2006

MGM chief operating officer Rick Sands talked about the studio's upcoming projects during a ceremony for Sylvester Stallone at the Orlando World Marriott Center on Tuesday. Stallone picked up the ShowEast Icon Award for playing Rocky Balboa.

The Hollywood Reporter says Sands is packaging the fourth "Terminator" film -- it will be titled "Terminator blah blah, not Four," Sands joked -- with a new star likely to fill the Arnold Schwarzenegger role. "It's like the 'Batman' or 'Superman' franchise in that it lends itself to having different actors in the roles," he said.

Sands is in talks with New Line Cinema to get the rights to produce two prequel films to "The Lord of the Rings" series, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," he said.

Other projects he mentioned include a sequel to The Thomas Crown Affair, set to star Pierce Brosnan, and a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Darya » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:53 am

Sam Raimi Offered The Hobbit?
Source: TheOneRing.net November 23, 2006

We're pretty doubtful this will happen, as Sony Pictures will probably want him back for a fourth "Spider-Man" movie, but TheOneRing.net has posted an interesting scoop that director Sam Raimi has been offered to helm The Hobbit.

This update comes shortly after the news that "Lord of the Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson said he won't be returning to the franchise because of his lawsuit against New Line Cinema for "The Fellowship of the Ring" earnings.

We assume that if Raimi was to direct a fourth Spidey film, he would be starting on it fairly soon after the third film is released on May 4, 2007. Plus, there would be the added pressure of stepping into the Jackson-created world.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else would take on the project, or whether MGM (which owns the distribution rights) will succeed in bringing New Line and Jackson back to the table.
"Guys are the weaker sex...Girls kick ass; says so on a t-shirt." (Dark Angel)
Darya

Postby Darya » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:30 am

McKellen Saddened by Jackson 'Hobbit' Snub
By WENN| Thursday, November 23, 2006

Lord of the Rings star Ian McKellen is considering his own involvement in The Hobbit, after discovering Peter Jackson will not direct the upcoming movie adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic book.

In an email to a fan Web site earlier this week, Jackson revealed bosses at New Line Cinema had told him he would not be signed to make Tolkien's classic or another Lord of the Rings prequel.

Jackson and his production company, Wingnut Films, are currently embroiled in a legal dispute with New Line Cinema over royalties from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And McKellen, whose Lord of the Rings character, Gandalf, also features heavily in The Hobbit, has serious doubts about returning to Tolkien's fantasy world without Jackson.

He says, "I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting middle Earth with Peter again as team leader.

"It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."

Article Copyright Entertainment News Network
Darya

Postby Darya » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:06 am

Elijah Wood Comments on The Hobbit
Source: MyMovies.net November 29, 2006

MyMovies.net caught up with Elijah Wood, who played Frodo in Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, and asked him his thoughts about New Line telling Jackson they are moving ahead on The Hobbit without him.

"If [Peter] ultimately doesn't come back because of what New Line has done I think it would be a great tragedy," said Wood. "I think it's ultimately quite foolish for New Line to move forward assuming they can create an equally wonderful film without Peter... and I think for that for fans that's tragic. For a long time I never kind of imagined that these movies would ever be made, so if they do get made I think they should be made by Peter."

He thinks this isn't the last we've heard of Jackson and The Hobbit, however, and click here for more of his comments.

Ian McKellen (aka Gandalf) previously said that he is "very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again. It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."
Darya

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:42 am

Well if Raimi was to direct the hobbit I will go and see it for sure, and just for fun only give old Sam $250,000 to make the damn thing.
Mike

Postby Brian » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:33 pm

If Jackson doesn't direct The Hobbit the movie will probably lose money. Raimi isn't a good enough director for something like this, he needs to stick to comic book movies. Ridley Scott might be able to pull it off. I'm hoping that Jackson will end up directing, it would help if he would drop his lawsuit against New Line over profits from Fellowship.
Brian
Site Admin

Next

Return to Movies